Changes to Northern California earthquake catalog search
November 21, 2002November 21, 2002
Today the NCEDC implemented modifications to eqselect and catlist, programs which search and reformat earthquake catalogs. These programs are used by the Web catalog search as well as by users with research accounts. The changes will affect the magnitudes reported from searches of the NCSN catalog for northern California.
Previously, if a specific magnitude type was not selected by the user, eqselect and catlist reported magnitude according to the hierarchy: Mw (UCB moment magnitude), Mlm (NCSN local magnitude computed from UCB amplitudes), Ml (UCB local magnitude), Md (NCSN coda duration magnitude), Mx (NCSN amplitude duration magnitude).
In the new version of these codes, the preferred magnitude (as selected by the NCSN) will be reported as the default magnitude. If no preferred magnitude is defined, then eqselect and catlist will use the magnitude hierarchy above for reporting.
The change will bring the reported NCSN magnitudes in line with the CNSS catalog, which has always reported the preferred magnitude. This change will result in different magnitudes being reported from the NCSN catalog (if you are using the default option).
The NCEDC is a joint project of the University of California, Berkeley and the USGS. Please send us email at firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out our comments form if you have questions or comments about these changes.
- 2003 San Simeon Earthquake (5)
- 2004 Parkfield Earthquake (3)
- Berkeley Digital Seismic Network (BDSN, BK) (11)
- Bugs (6)
- Calpine/LBL Geysers data (BG) (8)
- Catalogs (21)
- Data Access Methods (15)
- Data Availability (25)
- Data Center Operations (19)
- Data Center Outages (9)
- Data Distribution (3)
- Data Holdings (16)
- Earthquake Catalogue (21)
- Earthquake Depths (3)
- Earthquake Locations (9)
- High Resolution Seismic Network (HRSN, BP) (4)
- Magnitude (10)
- Magnitude Errors (4)
- Metadata (4)
- Northern California Earthquake Data Center (NCEDC) (14)
- Northern California Seismic System (NCSS) (7)
- Northern Hayward Fault Network (NHFN, BK) (3)
- SEED format (6)
- Sampling Rate (3)
- Strain Data (3)
- The Geysers (5)
- Timing Errors (3)
- U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) (3)
- UC Berkeley Seismological Laboratory (BSL) (4)
- USGS Northern California Seismic Network (NCSN) (11)
- Uncategorized (4)
- Waveform Data (29)
- Web Services (4)