Skip to content
Scripts and programs for downloading data
- Fetch scripts are simple command line Perl scripts that
request data and information from web services at the NCEDC and compatible services at other data centers.
NCEDC specific wrapper scripts can be downloaded
- The Simple Waveform Client (SWC) is a
command-line program for easily dowloading waveform retrieval from the NCEDC Archive and NCEDC DART (Data
Available in Real Time). SWC retrieves data in miniSEED format (no instrument response metadata). Instrument
response metadata can be retrieved through web services as dataless
seed (readable with rdseed), resp file format, or station XML. Full network IR metadata is available in our
More about SWC
Programs related to data quality
- psd is a background noise acceleration Power
Spectral Density (PSD) estimation algorithm designed specifically to extract all necessary information
and data for calculating the PSD estimates from a SEED data volume.
Programs for reading and converting SEED or MiniSEED data
- ms2sac Converts a MiniSEED file to SAC format.
The coordinates for the stations will NOT be entered into the SAC header.
- rdseed: IRIS has developed and freely distributes the program rdseed which will read
SEED files, extract station/channel instrument responses, and convert the seismograms to other standard
user format such as AH, SAC, CSS, and miniSEED formats. The program is available from the
- mssplit: Split multi-channel
MiniSEED file into single channel MiniSEED files.
Programs for Reading and Converting Other Data Formats to MiniSEED format
- pcql2msThe Unocal/Calpine Geysers waveform
data is distributed in the Unocal PCQL format. The program pcql2ms can be used to convert the PCQL event
waveform files to MiniSEED.
- The segy2ms program converts waveform data
in "LBL SEGY" format to MiniSEED format. THe 1987-1998 Parkfield (HRSN/BP) assembled dataset is
in this format.