Change in NCSN Earthquake Catalog
Categories: USGS Northern California Seismic Network (NCSN) | Magnitude | Data Availability | Earthquake Catalogue | Catalogs | Data Holdings | Earthquake Locations
August 1, 1995August 1st, 1995
The USGS Northern California Seismic Network (NCSN) has implemented a new policy regarding the archival of automatically timed (RTP) earthquake data in their catalog at the NCEDC. The RTP is an automated system that automatically picks seismic phases, and is used for rapid earthquake response.
Formerly, all locations that were derived from only RTP data were reviewed by analysts, but otherwise no restrictions were applied to the RTP data archived at the NCEDC.
As of August 1, 1995, RTP earthquake data will no longer be reviewed by analysts. To minimize the archival of poor quality RTP information, earthquake locations that are derived soley from RTP phase readings meet ALL of the following criteria to be included in the NCSN catalog:
- The location must be determined from at least 5 P-readings.
- The location must have an RMS < 0.5 seconds.
- The location must have an azimuthal gap < 235 degrees.
- The location must fall within the following polygon:
This change may affect the completeness of the catalog at the lower magnitude levels. There has been NO change in the policy or procedures for including or reviewing events that acquired by the CUSP data acquisition system. Events aqcuired by the CUSP data acquisition system will continue to be reviewed by analysts.
Questions about the NCSN catalog located at the NCEDC can be directed to Lind Gee at the USGS, firstname.lastname@example.org
:  Current issue with ObsPy FDSN web service client
:  FTP service to be retired on May 31, 2022
:  NCEDC archive unavailable: Thu Dec 9th 11am-noon PDT
- 2003 San Simeon Earthquake (5)
- 2004 Parkfield Earthquake (3)
- Berkeley Digital Seismic Network (BDSN, BK) (11)
- Bugs (6)
- Calpine/LBL Geysers data (BG) (8)
- Catalogs (21)
- Data Access Methods (18)
- Data Availability (31)
- Data Center Operations (25)
- Data Center Outages (9)
- Data Distribution (3)
- Data Holdings (16)
- Earthquake Catalogue (21)
- Earthquake Depths (3)
- Earthquake Locations (9)
- High Resolution Seismic Network (HRSN, BP) (4)
- Magnitude (10)
- Magnitude Errors (4)
- Metadata (4)
- Northern California Earthquake Data Center (NCEDC) (14)
- Northern California Seismic System (NCSS) (7)
- Northern Hayward Fault Network (NHFN, BK) (3)
- SEED format (6)
- Sampling Rate (3)
- Strain Data (3)
- The Geysers (5)
- Timing Errors (3)
- U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) (3)
- UC Berkeley Seismological Laboratory (BSL) (4)
- USGS Northern California Seismic Network (NCSN) (11)
- Uncategorized (4)
- Waveform Data (33)
- Web Services (5)